This position actively manages Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs at Distant Lands Coffee. Active management includes leading program implementation in collaboration with operational and management teams, ongoing program management/oversight of food safety certification (AIB, GFSI, GMA SAFE, etc.), compliance to Distant Lands corporate Quality Assurance / Food Safety requirements, and other related initiatives to ensure the quality and integrity of products produced and packaged at Distant Lands facilities.
• Oversee plant operations and procedures for compliance purposes to the Safe Quality Food (SQF) standard, including but not limited to customer complaints, document management, business continuity plan, pest control, adherence to cleaning schedules, product sampling procedures, quality measurements, and other procedures in place to ensure product quality and safety.
• Maintain, revise, and update as necessary the company Quality Assurance manual and company policies relating to food safety and quality matters to assure compliance to all food safety, quality, and regulatory requirements.
• Develop and maintain a HACCP and QACCP Plan for all food operations, and act as HACCP and QACCP Team Leader.
• Manage and enhance the Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP’s) and ensure correct documentation of cleaning. Identify cleaning product needs and cleaning supply vendors to assist with cleaning product supplies and procedures.
• Interact with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies during audits and other regulatory actions, ensuring proper follow-up, response, and resolution to all regulatory matters, serving a liaison between Distant Lands management/operations, and regulatory agencies.
• Interface with Food Safety, Kosher, Organic and other certification bodies as well as third-party food safety auditors and serve as a liaison between Distant Lands’ management/ operations, and external food safety/quality agencies.
• Responsible for ensuring company adherence to product specifications, good manufacturing practices, HACCP plan execution, and SSOP’s that govern plant operations.
• Oversee weight control and shrink programs to ensure they meet company expectations and requirements.
• Maintain and deliver all required customer reporting and any product submission requirements.
• Manage the hold process for containment, track and ensure product disposition is executed per instruction.
• Create and maintain production specifications to meet customer requirements.
• Conduct training in various formats to meet the needs of the employees within the parameters of their positions to consistently produce employees who are well-trained in the skills and requirements of their positions.
• Maintain all training records in a training registry to document food safety, quality, and safety requirements to meet company guidelines and regulatory requirements.
• Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility meet all established standards.
• Provide guidance and leadership with plant operations teams up to and including operations management in situations where deviations have occurred, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality.
• Provide guidance and leadership for the company in situations where deviations have occurred, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality and/or regulatory agencies.
• Provide recommendations and guidance to management on food defense and physical security needs to follow regulatory guidance related to preventing intentional food contamination. Assist with developing and maintaining systems and procedures for complying with Bioterrorism regulations.
• Ensure all safety training is completed according to OSHA and company standards. Manage company safety program and ensure regular safety committee meetings occur.
• Every employee has a responsibility to report employee safety, food safety and/or quality concerns to their Supervisor/Manager immediately upon identification.
• Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety, plant regulatory and Quality
• Familiarity with Statistical Process Control
• Comprehensive experience with FDA and/or USDA Rules and Regulations
• Working knowledge of food defense standards, guidance, and industry best
• Must have strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
• Ability to analyze processes for Biological, Chemical, and Physical hazards with a
thorough understanding of the science and support behind each type of hazard and each step within a production process
• Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization
• Good problem solving and corrective action/resolution skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Safety, Environmental Health, Microbiology, Food
Science, or other science related field preferred but equivalent experience in the coffee industry or manufacturing/food sales environment considered.
• 7 years of progressive food processing experience, with at least 4 years in a
management capacity within a manufacturing environment that includes HACCP operation, USDA and/or FDA oversight.
• 5 years facilitating food safety/quality related training events.
• Previous experience with food safety certification bodies is a plus.
• HACCP Certification from a nationally/internationally recognized and accredited
HACCP training firm.
• Strong computer skills with experience using Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: QC Technicians
Job Type: Full-time