Since its inception, Distant Lands Coffee has been at the forefront of coffee innovations–from sustainable production practices and technologies to revolutionary coffee packaging.
Hydroelectric Production and Water Conservation
Onsite hydroelectric power plants generate clean, renewable energy for our mill operations in Costa Rica and Colombia. Over the course of a calendar year we are net producers of energy in Costa Rica, generating more electricity than we use.
Distant Lands designed and developed biomass furnaces that use coffee parchment, a by-product of milling, for fuel. This innovation has virtually eliminated the need for wood fuel.
Progressive Mill Design
Widely regarded as the finest coffee mill in the world, our Beneficio Rio Tarrazú facility combines modern and traditional technologies. The mill was proclaimed a “protector of the environment” and received the prestigious Bandera Ecológica award from the Costa Rican Government.
- McDonald’s Innovation Award at the 2009 Supplier Summit
- PLMA Excellence Award: 2010 Meijer Gold La Sonrisa Hacienda Rio Negro Trademark Coffee
- Panera Bread: Vendor of the Year award
- Hacienda Rio Negro: first Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee farm in Costa Rica in 2001
- First coffee roasting facility in North America to be certified at SQF Level 3–Distant Lands Coffee in Renton, WA; certified since 2010