The Plant Manager is a hands-on position in all aspects of coffee roasting operations, including manufacturing and supply chain responsibilities.
This position provides overall coordination and direction for the accurate and timely recording of data to provide detailed reports as it relates to operations within the roasting plant, distribution warehouse and, planning, purchasing and inventory control.
Must have a team oriented approach to achieve and maintain excellence throughout the plant with direct communication to both internal and external customers.
Production (Coffee Roasting, Grinding and Packaging);
- Oversee the production manager and department resources to achieve roasting and packaging schedule compliance, cost per pound, scrap and process quality goals
- Develop, budget and execute departmental staffing and expense spend in line with company forecasts and projections
- Ensure departmental productivity goals are achieved by Overall Equipment Effectiveness and, as needed, other productivity management tools
- Maintain staffing training and foster skill development
- Measure and report workcenter and plant capacity
- Foster communication of maintenance department activities to any impacted company departments
- Ensure prevenative maintenance activities for all equipment and facilities are completed on a timely basis
- Coordinate unscheduled repair impacts; coordinate investigations and update preventative maintenance activities accordingly
- Develop, budget and execute overall repair and refurbishment strategic planning
- Oversee special projects, both internally and externally resourced, as required by the business
Warehouse / Distribution;
- Monitor, train and if necessary create standard work processes to ensure proper operation of the warehouse, including order picking, loading, unloading, order quality checking, record keeping, system transacting and facility housekeeping activities
- Develop and report service level and fill rate Key Performance Indicators while maintaining both within stated goals
- Develop, budget and execute warehouse operation and freight expenses through labor management, expense spend review, logisitics management, carrier relationship maintenance and supplier bid processes
- Coordinate with customer service, sales and or the final customer when necessary
- Responsible for developing and maintaining inventory controls
- Direct all physical audits and ensure level of excellence results
- Work closely with Production Manager to ensure inventory transactions are recorded in a timely and accurate manner
- Reconcile inventory discrepancies through the production and warehouse teams, with the ability to teach inventory control system concepts to key personnel within the facility
- Analyze and evaluate inventory issues and recommends solutions
- Responsible for accurate controls and procedures for coordinating and reconciling cycle count and physical inventories
- Help develop target inventory levels for raw materials and finished products
- Work closely with accounting to maintain appropriate inventory levels and control of inventory assets
- Analyze inventory to identify excess, slow-moving, and obsolete inventory and oversee disposition
- Lead cross-functional inventory records accuracy team and participate on other project teams as required
- Prepare and maintain policies, procedures, and working instructions for inventory control systems
- Responsible for developing and maintaining overall procurement strategies to maintain inventory levels and cost control
- Manage overall vendor relations and requirements
- Ensure purchased items meet the quality standards as specified
- Validate the purchasing process is executed and contributes to ongoing inventory accuracy
- Prepare and maintain policies, procedures, and working instructions for procurement systems
Scheduling & Planning;
- Coordinate with production manager and scheduler to meet demands and workload to the plant
- Establish and monitor appropriate raw material and finished good inventory levels to minimize inventory levels while maximizing plant-wide service level and fill rate
- Participate in daily production meeting to track progress and provide guidance when issues or conflicts are found
- Prepare and maintain policies, procedures, and working instructions for scheduling systems
Quality Assurance/Quality Control;
- Maintain ongoing compliance against the Safe Quality Food standard; including HACCP/QACCP.
- Validate compliance customer expectations for roasted and packaged coffee against green recipe and packaging
- Participate in ongoing regulatory audits and changes as needed
- Understand and support policies, procedures, and working instructions for quality assurance / quality control systems at the plant level
- Every employee has a responsibility to report employee safety, food safety and/or quality concerns to their Supervisor/Manager immediately upon identification.
- Foster a continuous improvement environment in all aspects of the roasting plant and warehouse operations
- Be a champion of safety within the operation
- Report Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) as required for all operational depts.
- In partnership with the finance team build, track and deliver within annual departmental budgets
- Lead CSI (cost savings initiative); including reporting, tracking, and implementing
- Maintain and execute against a five year strategic capital investment plan to drive safety, quality and productivity to all aspects of the operation
- Coordinate with Sales and Finance teams to ensure the roasting plant operation is meeting or exceeding company-wide or customer initiatives, special projects or goals
- Lead a monthly Sales & Operating Planning meeting with multiple company business units
- Guide the roasting plant and warehouse through the successful commercialization of new products
- Enforce the company’s policies and procedures
- Provide annual goals and targets and track to ensure achievement
- Ensure communication of company strategic plan is communicated and understood by all employees
- Daily resource for problem resolution and decision making
- Complete and deliver annual reviews with feedback on achievements and areas of opportunity
- Plan, resource and execute special projects as required by the business
- Strong analytical skills
- High proficiency in MS Excel
- Experience in a manufacturing/production environment
- Must be a highly self motivated individual who possesses strong leadership and communication skills, analytical skills, attention to detail, accuracy, problem solving ability.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with all levels within our company and establish a solid rapport with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and/or priorities and easily adapt to changing situations in support of a high volume production operation.
- Minimum of 7 years supply chain and production management experience with increasing levels of responsibility and solid analytical skills.
- Experience in a food related production environment
- Great Plains software experience is a plus
- Bachelors Degree in a business related discipline or equivalent experience is required.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION ARE: Quality Assurance Manager, Purchasing Manager, Maintenance Manager, Green Coffee Planner, Inventory Manager, Logistics/Warehouse Manager, Production Manager
ALTERNATE: svp of product operations; quality assurance manager for certification and product quality related issues;